You love your pets so much and it’s super important they have a happy, healthy and pain-free life no matter what their age or physical condition. And while currently no formal research on CBD use in dogs has been published, in depth studies have shown there is positive interaction between cannabinoids and the endocannabinoid receptors which work to maintain balance and are located in both the central and the peripheral nervous systems.
Testimonials and anecdotal evidence from dog owners all suggest CBD oil does have a positive effect on many common canine health concerns including neuropathic pain, seizures and anxiety. In fact, there has been enough favorable feedback that in September 2017 the American Kennel Canine Health Foundation announced in conjunction with the Colorado State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences a study evaluating the use of CBD in epileptic dogs.
We recommend consulting with your veterinarian before administering CBD to your pet and to always follow proper dosing instructions. Just as with humans, dogs may also experience side effects including:
- Drowsiness: While one of the benefits of CBD products is a calming effect, good for dogs with anxiety, giving a higher doze than prescribed may cause drowsiness.
- Dry Mouth: If your dog is on a CBD regiment and begins to show signs of increased thirst, don’t fret. Extensive research has shown saliva production decrease is a common side effect.
Interested in trying CBD oil for your dog? If your veterinarian agrees, always give a small dose first to see how your pet reacts and keep in mind that all CBD products are not created equal.
- Organic is best. All Healing Leaf Health & Wellness CBD products are organically grown and contain no pesticides, solvents or fungicides.
- Shop based on quality not cost. Generally CBD products with the highest quality and purity are more costly. The best CBD oils are lab tested to ensure they are free from harmful additives.
- Tinctures are perfect for pets. All pet owners know the joy of trying to get a dog, or especially a cat, to swallow a pill and that is the beauty of tincture drops. Using the handy enclosed dropper each droplet can easily and accurately be added to both wet and dry dog food or put in a pill pouch as a treat.
Interested in more information about Healing Leaf CBD oil products and your pet’s health? First talk to your vet and then come visit our safe and secure online shop. No Covid-19 precautions needed. Still have questions? Connect with Healing Leaf’s owner, licensed pharmacist Dr. Jennifer Kovacs for more information.